Friday, February 27, 2015

Walter E. Kitty



Meet Walt, the cat formerly known as Squeaker, the newest addition to the Clark family! We got him the day after Liesel's birthday. He's named after Walt Disney because he has a spot that looks just like a Mickey Mouse head. He playful, adorably awkward and exactly what we needed. We've been surrounded by animals our whole lives so even though there are monkeys in the trees outside, it's not quite the same as having a pet. I’m so sorry for taking so long to write this. We’ve been waiting to write this post to see if I could get over my allergies, we didn’t want to announce getting a cat if we had to find a new home after a month. It was rough at first, but the asthma has finally subsided without a hitch so Walt gets to stay!



When you uproot your entire home and shift it across the Atlantic Ocean, it’s a bit disorienting. Because of this, we often look for things that are familiar, sort of like when you move into a new house and start filing it up with sentimental things. When there are things that remind us of the world we left behind, like letters from friends, Cheeze-Its and a kitten, it makes our house seem more like home.

In our family, we have a strong belief of what HOME is.  We are quite skilled in “making it work” and can do so for long periods of time. But frankly, I’m tired of saying, “Back home…” As much as I don’t want to believe it, Africa is home now. It doesn’t feel like it yet, but we’ve only been here six months. You know the things you do when you’re in a sad mood? Maybe watch your favorite movie or eat something yummy or talk to your friends or whatever? For me, it’s creating. I get out my big suitcase, which I filled to overflowing with craft supplies, and just make something. But sometimes, I find myself longing for HOME. And glitter glue can’t fix everything (I know, I find it shocking as well).



HOME, my fleshly desire has decided is where things are always fine. It’s where you have things always right, you get to do what you want and you have your space where you can do your thing by yourself anytime you want. Notice the problem? Apparently, life is not a wish-granting factory. HOME is not about you doing what you want to do. HOME is about family doing what they’re supposed to do. And we are supposed to be here because God put us here. So yeah, I miss America and the convenience of America. We traded Wal-Mart for the African market and starlings for ibis. But until God says otherwise, this is HOME and there’s nowhere I’d rather be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment